Humbert comes back to the room and finds Lolita sleeping. All night he stays awake, and in the morning, he pretends to be asleep. When Lolita wakes up, she asks whether Humbert has ever done it before, to which Humbert denies. After that, much to my surprise and horror, Lolita consents to having sex with Humbert.
Considering Humbert’s deceitfulness, I can’t find myself believing that Humbert is telling the truth; I think this is one of his manipulations to trick Lolita into having sex with him. He says Lolita was the one who seduced him, but I think otherwise. Although it might be probable that Lolita did seduce him considering her flirtatious nature, I am still placing the blame on Humbert.
I wonder why Nabokov did not go into detail on the gritty details between Humbert and Lolita? I mean, he shamelessly did so when Humbert told his story about Annabel. Why not Lolita, when that was the one thing that the readers have been anticipating all along?
0 comments:
Post a Comment