Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Lolita

The tension heightens.

When Humbert comes home from his doctor’s appointment to procure stronger sleeping pills for Lolita and Charlotte, he finds that Charlotte has broken into Humbert’s table and has read his diary detailing his sordid lust for her daughter Lolita. What happens next disproves my earlier hypothesis; Charlotte doesn’t die from her own hands or that of Humbert’s—she dies in an accident, getting run over by a car near her house, which proves all too convenient for Humbert.

I am surprised that when Charlotte found out about Humbert’s proclivities, she was mad at him not because he is a pedophile, but because he preferred Lolita over her! I couldn’t help but yell out loud, “Oh my God! This woman has completely lost it! Does she even care for her daughter?!” I feel like Charlotte is one of those mothers—like Daisy from The Great Gatsby—who only care about their children on the surface.

More importantly, now that Humbert has Lolita all to himself...what does he intend to do?

0 comments:

Post a Comment